Better habits start with a plan
Good planning is the first step to reducing food waste. Before you head to the grocery store, here are some key planning strategies:
- Make a weekly meal plan and a shopping list.
- Consider how many meals you will eat at home or eat out.
- Shop your fridge and pantry first for food you already have.
- Buy only the things needed for each meal.
- Include quantities needed on your shopping list.
- Choose recipes where ingredients for one meal can be used in another.
- Keep a running tally of what you need to pick up as it runs out. A blackboard in the kitchen or a shopping list on the fridge is a handy way of doing this.